Thirty minutes away from Klamath Falls, Oregon is the Lava Beds National Monument. According to the park brochure, “eruptions occurring 30-40,000 years ago formed over 700 lava tube caves found in the park. Lava tubes form when streams of hot, flowing lava start to cool. The center of the stream stays hot and continues to flow as the outside begins to cool and harden. Hot lava drains out, leaving a pipe-like cave. Multiple eruptions ca stack caves on top of one another, creating multilevel caves.”
Over the weekend I was nominated twice for the Liebster Award, and I am incredibly honored to have been recognized by both amazing bloggers: Vasudha of Traveldefined and Nancy from Two Trails One Road.
Thank you so much to Vasudha of Traveldefined for nominating me for the Leibster Award. He blog focuses on one girl’s encounter of India’s astonishing culture and beauty. Her writing weaves together personal experiences with India’s history and mythology, bolstered by amazing photographs of great stone temples and lush tropical landscapes.
I would also like to thank Nancy from Two Trails One Road for giving me this award! Her amazing blog-with adorable picture commentary-focuses on her travels with her family and her experiences with the beauty of Arizona. She has amazing sunset photographs and I highly recommend you go check out her blog!
This award is a great way to welcome new bloggers into the community, and I would like to also thank each and every one of my readers.
(From Two Trails One Road) The Rules:
1. Acknowledge the person who nominated you.
2. Answer a number of questions.
3. List some bloggers (with fewer than 200 followers) who you feel really deserve some blogging love!
4. Let all the bloggers know you’ve nominated them. You cannot nominate the blogger who nominated you.
5. Post questions for the bloggers to answer.
Here goes the answers:
1. Why did you start blogging?
Initially I made a WordPress blog because I was trying to learn computer coding and one of the lessons was how to customize a WordPress.org blog as coding practice. But once I made the account, I realized that it would be a great way to document the places I’ve been and the things I’ve experienced. I loved it so much, I continued doing it, and 3-and-a-half months later, I am still going strong.
2. What would be your favorite adventure?
My dream adventure would be touring Europe (which I am hoping to do soon, *fingers crossed*). However, I love traveling anywhere, even if that just means exploring my own backyard. I’m a simple gal and it doesn’t take much to make me happy, so it’s hard to pinpoint a favorite.
3. Who is your favorite musician?
Well this is a little embarrassing to admit, but I’m really into Macklemore and Ryan Lewis right now.
4. What are your 5 favorite foods?
The 5 foods I could eat everyday and never get sick of them, in no particular order: unagi (eel sushi), spicy Korean tofu soup, burritos (carne asada or al pastor), Thai yellow chicken curry, and har-gow (Chinese shrimp dumplings)
5. What are the top two things on your bucket list?
See and photograph the Aurora Borealis and visit Australia
6. What is your favorite post from your blog?
It would have to be my introductory/about me page. It was the first time I really poured my heart into my writing and I felt very vulnerable revealing something personal about me.
There is no pressure to accept the award, but if you do choose to accept the nomination…
Here are the questions:
1. How would you describe your hometown to someone who has never been before?
2. What is the most weirdest thing you have ever eaten?
3. If you were stranded on deserted island, what 3 things would you bring with you?
4. If you were at a bar, what is your drink of choice?
5. If you could have one superpower, what would it be?
(From Traveldefined) The rules:
1. Thank the blogger who gives it.
2. Answer the 11 questions she/he asks.
3. Nominate 11 bloggers with less than 500 followers.
4. Ask these 11 bloggers 11 questions.
5. Let them know you have nominated them.
Here goes the 11 answers:
1. What was the inspiration behind your blog title?
I think coming up with a blog name was the single hardest thing about starting a blog. This is actually my second name (changed from Pixie Dust and Wanderlust), and it signifies a boat unmoored and floating off into the big blue sea. As travelers I think we’ve all experienced this feeling in a way, where you just want to pull up anchor and go wherever the wind takes you.
2. What is your dream travel destination?
Right now I have this overwhelming urge to go north. I want to see the glaciers in the Arctic, go dog-sledding in Alaska, experience the waterfalls in Iceland, and most importantly, see the Northern Lights across the sky at night.
3. A song associated with a fond memory?
Oh, this is a tough one. I guess I didn’t really grow up with music at home, so I can’t think of a particular memory right now. However, I remember having to sing for a production of “Twelfth Night” (I was cast as Feste the clown), but I was so terrible that the director added another role to the play–Feste’s lover and companion–just so someone else would sing my songs for me. I loved that role though, and I had a lot of fun in that production.
4. How many times have you watched your favorite movie?
I love sci fi, action, superhero, and thriller films (I wouldn’t be caught dead at a romantic comedy) and the X-men series are my favorite, but I’m not one of those people who watches the same movie over and over. Two or three times is more than enough.
5. If you had a choice to be in a different city tomorrow, what city would it be?
Seattle. I love the people, the architecture, the whole vibe. And it’s really close to great ski resorts in Canada!
6. Car or train? Yes or no.
Yes to both. I love the freedom of driving, but there are a couple places I’d be terrified to drive in: Thailand, China, Chicago, to name a few.
7. Which is your favorite season – Spring or Fall; and why?
To be honest, San Francisco and Los Angeles, the two places I’ve lived in, doesn’t really have seasons. Spring is about the same as Summer, Fall, or Winter, maybe varying by only a couple degrees. Leaves don’t really change color either, they’re always green; and I only encounter snow if I want to go skiing in the mountains. So it’s all the same to me.
8. If you could travel back in time, where would you want to be?
I’d love to go back to the Elizabethan era at the height of the “Golden Age” and see the the Globe, Shakespeare, and all the poets and playwrights of that time.
9. What is the most bizarre food you have tried?
I’ve had snakes, scorpions, silkworms, alligator and black water beetles in China. You actually had to peel apart the water beetles’ exoskeleton and suck out the juices. It doesn’t really taste like much except the soup that it was cooked it. Silkworms are disgustingly mushy and gross, I didn’t like those. Alligator was just like a really tough beef with a lot less flavor.
10. What has inspired you the most in your life?
I don’t know, I’ve always been inspired by the unknown. The thought of experiencing something different, something new, drives me to seek adventure.
11. How long did it take you to write this post?
An ungodly amount of time.
I’d like to nominate (in no particular order):
1. Six O’Clock Sunlight
2. Fiona in Los Angeles
3. Whaddup JP
5. My Life is a Variety Show
6. Travels Off the Beaten Path
7. Photo of the Day, Etc.
8. The Illusive Femme
9. His Travel and Work Reporter
10. Nothing Found
11. What A Wonderful World
Here are my 11 questions for you:
1. How would you describe your hometown to someone who has never been before?
2. What is an odd/interesting/weird talent that you have? (ex. double jointed, three nipples, plays trombone, etc.)
3. If you were a food, what food would you be and why?
4. What is the weirdest thing you’ve ever eaten?
5. What would you do with a million dollars?
6. What is your favorite movie?
7. If you were stranded on a deserted island, what are three things you would bring?
8. If you were at a bar, what is your drink of choice?
9. If you could have one superpower, what would it be?
10. What is your pet peeve?
11. If you had a TARDIS, when and/or where would you go?
*To copy and paste the award button to your own page, right click on the Liebster image, save to your computer, then upload to your blog.